Lightbulb A Letter To Myself

A heart - touching , overwhelming truth
    /////
    Enjoy listening & reading

You can download the audio from

http://www.mediafire.com/download/lu...+to+myself.rar
    /////////////

Dear Edith (age 10),
    I found this picture of me and my two brothers in a drawer. I am 10 years old in the picture so it must have taken in 1949. I don’t remember the day but I do remember that dress. A blue and white dress with small, pink buttons in the shape of flowers. I had a pale pink ribbon in my hair. Of course the picture is black and white, but I remember it clearly. I loved that ribbon, I wore it every day.

Now I am living in a retirement home, with terrible health. It’s not easy, so I spend my time at home with my cat, remembering the past. Looking at this picture, I realise that there is not only more than 60 years between us but a totally different world. We are two totally different people. You are young with your life ahead of you: I am old and near the end of my time. I am not sure if you would be proud of whom you grew into and the things you achieved. This encouraged me to write this letter to offer you some advice. I want you to make better decisions in your life.

The first piece of advice is: don’t wait! Do what you want to do. Now. I have spent my life waiting. When I was a teenager I was waiting to get married. Then I was waiting to have children. Throughout my life I have been waiting until I have enough money to do lots of things. Waiting until I have more time to follow my dreams. Waiting to retire so I can relax. Waiting until my health improves so I can do anything. Waiting for my sons to visit so I have someone to talk to. Always waiting for the right moment to do something. This moment never comes. While I have been waiting, my life has slipped away.

So what should you do instead? Live! Act! Do! One thing I have learned, perhaps too late, is life is short. Too short for waiting. Not enough money? Make the best of what you have. Non feeling 100 per cent? Shake it off, and go out, work through the pain and discomfort. Remember, inactivity breeds inactivity. The longer you do nothing, the harder it is to do something when you need to.

This leads to the next piece of advice; surround yourself with people. Throughout my life, I have not had many friends, and slowly they have all moved away or died. Now it is difficult to make friends. I don’t feel comfortable with strangers. When I was younger I liked meeting people and was popular. But now I am not confident enough to make new friends. I spend most of my days alone. Make lots of friends and open your heart to them. It’s fine to be reserved (in fact it is the British way) but there is a limit. Be open and then you won’t be alone. Your own company is fine when you are young, but it is lonely and depressing when you are older.

The third piece of advice is: bounce back. Since my divorce, 40 years ago, I have been alone. I convinced myself that men are all evil, and having one in your life is like adding another child. Did I really believe that? Probably not. I just didn’t want to be hurt again, and hating was easier than moving on. Please don’t do the same. You will get hurt, by men, and by friends but don’t give up on people. My life would be so different now if I had more people and maybe a man in it.

Don’t get me wrong, my life hasn’t been all bad, but all the problems have originated from these three issues. I wish when I was 10 years old, I had received a letter like this. I would have followed the advice and my life would be a lot happier. I wish I could change the past, but I can’t. I wish this letter could be sent to you, my 10-year-old self, but it can’t. I wonder when you reach my age, lovely, innocent Edith if you would offer the same advice to your 10-year-old-self.

I have to go now, my angel, as it is 6:30 pm and I will try to phone my older son, Michael. We normally talk for about 30 minutes once a week, which I look forward to, but he is difficult to catch on the phone. I only hear from my younger son, Mark once a month. I am so proud of him (he’s a lawyer) but he is so busy and I hate to bother him

With love from your future self,
    Edith (age 74).

The End
    ~~~~
    My Regards

ACME

The candle has blown out , extinguished
    and darkness shrouded the whole place

English Club Supervisor الصورة الرمزية ● Ṡeяεиiτч . . ☆
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Sep 2005
    الدولة
    Home
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

رد: A Letter To Myself

It is indeed a heart-touching story. If Alalah gives you the chance to go back and change your life story, will you change it? I think the answer will be no. because most of us are afraid to see the other version of their stories. We dont need a letter from our future to alert us, we need a strong will to change what we dont like, and start living
    Thank you soo much
    اللهم اجعلنا نتنفس الرضـــا حبا ...حتى يشعر القلب بالأرتياح

شخصية بارزة الصورة الرمزية ACME
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2009
    الدولة
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

اقتباس المشاركة الأصلية كتبت بواسطة ● Ṡeяεиiτч . . ☆ مشاهدة المشاركة
    It is indeed a heart-touching story. If Alalah gives you the chance to go back and change your life story, will you change it? I think the answer will be no. because most of us are afraid to see the other version of their stories. We dont need a letter from our future to alert us, we need a strong will to change what we dont like, and start living
    Thank you soo much

Thank you so much for your post which I enjoyed reading

On the contrary to what you said I think a lot of people if were given the chance would change alot about their lives especially the wrong decisions they made ,,, actions they repent for
    and chances they missed or steps they hesitated to take
    I reckon that is the message we elicit from that letter
    Thanks a lot for discussing the topic

The candle has blown out , extinguished
    and darkness shrouded the whole place

شخصية بارزة
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2012
    الدولة
    بجانب البحر حيث الهدوء الذي تصحبه الهيبة
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

She told us a great advices full of wisdom from my point:
    don’t wait, Make the best of what you have,Live! Act! Do! ,"
    life is short. Too short for waiting
    work through the pain and discomfort,surround yourself with people"
    all that is right but who can listen and remember
    if we get into the pain and distress
    we can't think in a right way and we're just move in an empty circle
    ^ I'm telling you a fact that all of us go through it someday
    But Alhamdulillah we have Allah and the people who love us, hold our hands
    and don't letting us
    I felt sorry for her ,
    truly , so touching story
    Thank you my teacher
    " أبي النائم في أحد القبور اسأل الله العظيم أن يجعلني احتضنك حضناً طويلاً دافئاً
    ينزع وحشة فراقك الموجعة عند باب الفردوس الأعلى يا أحد يا فرد يا صمد يا الله " .
    كفارة المجلس :
    " سبحانك اللهم وبحمدك ، اشهدُ أن لا إله إلا أنت ، استغفرك وأتوب إليك "

انجليزي جديد
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Oct 2007
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

nice thank you

المواضيع المتشابهه

1. I Hate Myself
    بواسطة ACME في المنتدى English Club