تاريخ التسجيل
    Sep 2005
    الدولة
    In this world
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

Stop Choose which methods suit you and your students

Salaaaaaam everyone
    There are many articles in the internet that could be very useful to us on our career "teaching English". One of them is this article-I am going to paste down below- about four main methods used to teach students how to read. They are just a guide and you must work out which methods suit you and your students- depending on the students' age, sex, education, ability…etc-. You may like to try each one for a few weeks and record the results or you can combine two or more methods together like the 'phonics' and the 'look and say' method.l

You have to remember whichever way you choose be patient, consistent and above all creative. Creativity is very important to keep any child's interest and enthusiasm at all times. l

Method 1

PHONICS

The phonics method is probably the best known and widely used method to teach reading and writing in the English language. It relies on children being taught the alphabet first. They learn the names of the letters and the sounds they make. Once they have learnt the letter sounds they will begin to blend two letters together to make simple words then three letters, then four and so forth.

a-t i-t o-n i-f b-e m-e n-o w-e i-n h-e

c-a-t s-a-t m-a-t f-a-t p-a-t r-a-t c-a-r g-o-d m-e-n

f-l-a-t p-l-a-t t-h-a-t s-p-i-t g-r-i-t s-l-i-t

For children to learn the phonics method they need phonically written books using regular words that are interesting to young children. Each word must be sounded out by the child in order to achieve the highest level outcome.l

The cat sat on the mat. The hen is in a pen.l

Learning the sounds and their blends may be disinteresting for young children so you should keep it short and entertaining. Often children are so busy concentrating on sounding the words and blending the sounds that they don't learn the meaning of the word, making it boring for them. Ensure you explain the meaning or expound on the words to keep interest and enthusiasm for learning. l

You can introduce one letter a day or one letter a week but the one letter a day method works quite well and it does not become boring, whereas one letter a week tends to drag out and the child often loses the plot halfway through. This in turn gives you a sense of failure and you will become bogged down.l

Don't be disheartened if two or three days or even a week is needed to master one letter, students will improve and before long you will find there is no stopping their young brain. Children are natural learners and are more than willing to please you thus doing well in their learning experience. Using the phonics method, most children will learn to read basic words and sentences within three to six months. l

The phonics system had been used successfully in the USA and Europe for many years to teach children how to read. It supplies the student with tools to expand their vocabulary.l

An alphabet table using each letter sound.l

To be continued

شخصية بارزة الصورة الرمزية ام بسمه
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Sep 2005
    الدولة
    In this world
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

رد : Choose which methods suit you and your students

Method 2

LOOK & SAY

With the 'look and say' method children learn to recognize whole words or sentences rather than individual sounds. Your student will look at a word which you sound, and in turn will repeat the sound (the word). Flashcards with individual words written on them are used for this method often accompanied with a related picture.l

If you don't use a picture with the word the child will probably make a wild guess as to what it says trying to remember what sound you made previously. This is not a good method if you don't include pictures.l

It is also recommended with this method to use whole short sentences rather than individual words. Write a short sentence representing the picture displayed. Say the sentence and ask the child to repeat it while pointing and looking at each individual word as he/she repeats what you said.l

By making word cards you can create different sentences again and again. You can use each word card first to learn individual words and then laying the word cards together to form a sentence. You may need to make several word cards using the same word; e.g. the - and in order to form proper sentences.l

the is rat mat the on

the rat is on the mat

To be continued
    التعديل الأخير تم بواسطة ام بسمه ; 27-09-2007 الساعة 10:07 PM

تاريخ التسجيل
    Sep 2005
    الدولة
    In this world
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

Method 3

LANGUAGE EXPERIEENCE APPROACH

The language experience approach is the third method you may like to use. This particular method actually uses student's own words to help them read. Your student may draw a picture of Dad in the car. In that case you would write underneath the drawing; Dad is in the car.l
    You continue to collect drawings your student makes and write a short sentence underneath each drawing. A picture of a playground would read; We went to the park or playground. A picture of a cat could read; The cat sat on the mat. A picture of walking the dog could read; Mum walks the dog to the park.l

When you've collected enough pictures you make them into a book for your student to read again and again. Write underneath the drawing a description your student gives for the drawing. This way your
    student will remember much better what is written.l

First you will write every word and sentence. Slowly your student will begin to trace over the words you
    have written and finally the student will write the words and sentences all alone.l

Some people use this method as a first approach to reading in order to help their student understand that what they've drawn and what you have written is a form of communication between the student and yourself.l

The language experience approach supports children's concept development and vocabulary growth while offering many opportunities for meaningful reading and writing activities through the use of personal experiences and oral language.l

To be continued
    التعديل الأخير تم بواسطة ام بسمه ; 27-09-2007 الساعة 10:07 PM

تاريخ التسجيل
    Sep 2005
    الدولة
    In this world
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

Method 4

CONTEXT SUPPORT METHOD

When your students are just learning to read it is important to choose books that really interest them. If boys like cars, choose a book with pictures and simple words about cars. This will keep their interest and they will enjoy learning with you. If girls like dolls, obtain a book with doll pictures and simple words. Again it will encourage enthusiasm because they are actually looking at something they can relate to
    Some books are especially written to support this method of learning. You will find a longer sentence on one side of the page while the other side has a single word or maybe two to three words for your student to read. You will read the longer sentence while your student reads the simpler version.l

You may like to try this method of long and short text or maybe combine it with one or all of the other methods above. The debate still rages among educators, parents, and experts. Which approach to teaching reading works best? That is something only you can answer and it comes with practice and experience.l

Most children learn to read reasonably well between the ages of four and eight. Check the following 10 point checklist, which was originally written for parents to help ascertain if students are heading in the right direction.l

1. Do you read regularly with your child? (five or six days a week)l

2. Do you give your child time to browse through a book before attempting to read it?l

3. Do you show confidence in your child's abilities? Your lack of confidence may affect your child's ability to read.
    4. Don't tell your child you are worried about his/her reading progress. This will only fuel your children's problem. Discuss with your partner or other homeschool parent for advice.l

5. Does your child ever read to anyone else besides you? Try a grandma, neighbour, uncle, aunt, friend etc. It could make a big difference with your child's confidence to read.l

6. Do you expect too much to soon? Don't push too hard for immediate results. It takes time!l

7. Are you always rushed? Do you give your child enough time to read or write?l

8. Do you provide opportunities for your child to write? Such as shopping lists, names on the top of letters to friends or relatives, the child's own name at the bottom of a letter or card you have written.l

9. Are you using books at the correct level. Use easy books to encourage your child's abilities, making sure it is not too easy or you will undermine your child's confidence in him/herself. Don't choose books too hard, that also may undermine your child's confidence in him/herself.l

10. If you do all the above and you are still worried, your child's hearing or eye sight may have something to do with the reading problem. Visit your doctor for a check-up because hearing or eyesight could affect his/her ability to learn.l

To be continued
    التعديل الأخير تم بواسطة ام بسمه ; 27-09-2007 الساعة 10:15 PM

تاريخ التسجيل
    Sep 2005
    الدولة
    In this world
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

I would also like to add something that I've thought would be useful to most of us

It is DYSLEXIA

Dyslexia is the name given to children or adults who experience difficulty with learning to read. Often they perform quite well in other learning areas for some time but eventually the dyslexic problem will effect their overall learning. l

Dyslexic children tend to spell words in a peculiar way with letters back to front or in the wrong sequence. They often know which letters to write but they will place them in the wrong order.l

e.g. English - Engilsh does - dose when - wehn

Children who suffer from dyslexia struggle with learning to read and spell, affecting their confidence in
    some learning areas because of their inability, often comparing with others their own age. It can be made worse for them by people who do not understand the condition and believe these children are lazy, unwilling to learn or plain stupid which of course is not correct.l

A great deal of research has been done over the years and help is available for those who wish to take advantage of this. Dyslexic children need special attention and care with a structured program used daily. If your child suffers from a mild form of dyslexia the condition will improve rapidly using proper teaching methods. l

If you have a child with a severe case of dyslexia it will take time to resolve and you will need to be patient, understanding, persistent and loving. Reading and spelling will eventually come in most cases, although sometimes it will be slow for the rest of ones life. But it is better to be slow and have the ability to read, than not able to read at all.l

Because dyslexia is a topic that needs to be looked at in great length it is not covered here, however if you need help you could try typing in 'dyslexia' in a major search engine and web sites specializing on this topic will be displayed to learn.l

Thank you

كبار الشخصيات الصورة الرمزية Romanciah
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Mar 2005
    الدولة
    حــيـ أكــون ــث
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

أم بســــــــــــمه,,,,

It seems such a useful article, but it needs some time to read it carefully. So. I'll take my time reading it and come back soon

Thanks my dear sister.........

رحم الله موتانا و شفى مرضانا و رد غائبنا.

تاريخ التسجيل
    Sep 2005
    الدولة
    In this world
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

اقتباس المشاركة الأصلية كتبت بواسطة Romanciah مشاهدة المشاركة
    أم بســــــــــــمه,,,,

It seems such a useful article, but it needs some time to read it carefully. So. I'll take my time reading it and come back soon

Thanks my dear sister.........

Thanks Roma
    I'll be waiting for you
    It seems that you are the only one who is interested in my subject
    I know it is long but v. useful as I said in my introduction
    I'm starting to feel that I've wasted my time bringing it here because it looks that no one is interested

مميز الصورة الرمزية روعة العمر
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Aug 2006
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

thanks alot dear for this useful topic

تاريخ التسجيل
    Sep 2005
    الدولة
    In this world
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

اقتباس المشاركة الأصلية كتبت بواسطة روعة العمر مشاهدة المشاركة
    thanks alot dear for this useful topic

Thaaaaaaaaaaanx a lot my dear sister

المـدير الـعـام الصورة الرمزية DR AHLAIN
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Apr 2005
    الدولة
    Riyadh
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

Om Basmah

I really enjoyed reading these series of methods

Thanks millions

كبار الشخصيات الصورة الرمزية ميس
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2005
    الدولة
    دارٌ فانية
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

Ma shaa allah
    Useful post just keep on honey
    Thanks a lot for sharing sis
    may allah bless you

تاريخ التسجيل
    Sep 2005
    الدولة
    In this world
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

اقتباس المشاركة الأصلية كتبت بواسطة DR AHLAIN مشاهدة المشاركة

Om Basmah

I really enjoyed reading these series of methods

Thanks millions
    Thanks a lot Sir
    I'm glad that you've enjoyed it

تاريخ التسجيل
    Sep 2005
    الدولة
    In this world
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

اقتباس المشاركة الأصلية كتبت بواسطة ميس مشاهدة المشاركة

Ma shaa allah
    Useful post just keep on honey
    Thanks a lot for sharing sis
    may allah bless you

Woooooooow
    Looook who is here

My beloved friend mais
    Thanks four your encouraging words

المواضيع المتشابهه

1. Survey for English teachers, what do the deductive and inductive grammar mean and which one do you u
    بواسطة postgrd student في المنتدى المنتدى التعليمي العام
    مشاركات: 17
    آخر مشاركة: 16-04-2011, 05:24 PM
  2. Which One Will U Choose , Why ايهما ستختاااار ولماذا - عبر عن رأيك
    بواسطة ACME في المنتدى منتدى تعليم اللغة الانجليزية
    مشاركات: 3
    آخر مشاركة: 11-05-2010, 01:32 PM
  3. how do you choose your friend ?
    بواسطة ريما الحسين في المنتدى English Club
    مشاركات: 13
    آخر مشاركة: 24-10-2008, 12:12 PM
  4. ؟؟ Would you apologize to your students ? ؟؟؟؟