انجليزي مشارك الصورة الرمزية reem-6-
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Sep 2007
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

قصيـــده مطلوب figures of speech

الســلام عليكم .......

وكل عام وانتم بخير مقدمــا ...........

عندي طلب بسيـــط ياليت احد يسااعدني .........

I wander lonely as a cloud

William Worduorth

ابغى ل figures of speech

الف شكر ........

انجليزي مبدع الصورة الرمزية لحن الخريف
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Oct 2008
    الدولة
    In another world ...
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

رد: قصيـــده مطلوب figures of speech

as cloud simily

cloud # crowd allitration

hills # daffodils allitration

breeze metaphor

as the stars that shine simily

glance # dance end ryme

dances # daffodils allitration

وان شاء الله باقى الاعضاء يفيدوكى
    سبحان الله و بحمده, سبحان الله العظيم

شخصية بارزة الصورة الرمزية The Soul Of hope
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Dec 2007
    الدولة
    أينمآ تكون أمــي ..!!
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

Alliteration: lonely as a cloud (line 1).
    Simile: Comparison (using as) of the speaker's solitariness to that of a cloud (line 1).
    Personification: Comparison of the cloud to a lonely human. (line 1)
    Alliteration: high o'er vales and Hills (line 2).
    Alliteration: When all at once (line 3). (Note that the w and o have the same consonant sound.)
    Personification/Metaphor: Comparison of daffodils to a crowd of people (lines 3-4).
    Alliteration: golden Daffodils (line 4).
    Alliteration: Beside the Lake, beneath the trees,
    Personification/Metaphor: Comparison of daffodils to dancing humans (lines 4, 6).
    أمنياتي |
    مُعلقة ب سلسلة من السماء . . س تتحققْ ذاتَ يوم !

انجليزي مشارك الصورة الرمزية reem-6-
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Sep 2007
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

لحن الخريف -The Soul Of hope

الف الف شكر .....والله يسعدكم دنيــــا واخره ........

طيب عندي طلب ثاني ......نفس الشي بس Figuers of speech

"Joy and Temperance"
    by Anonymous

"Western Wind" by Anonymous

Mind"by Ruchard Wilbur

Toads"by Philip Larkin"

Son:Go,Lovely rose
    "by Edmund Waller

In the Museum" by Isabella Gardner "

Dream Deferred
    "by Lamgm Hughes"

متاكدة من الاسم الاول .....

واخر شي

Loveolest of Trees"by A.E.Housman"

وماجيت هينا الا بعد ماراحت عيوني من كثر مااحوس ماحصلت احيانا بعض المواقع احصل الشرح بس بدون figuer of speech

مو شرررط كلهم الا تحصلووونه منهم او قد درستهم ياليت حطون لي بس figuers of speech

انجليزي جديد
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Dec 2010
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

السلاااام عليكم
    اخوااني واخواااتي
    اتمناء ان تساااعدوني في هذى القصااايد محتاااج شرح مفصل والفجر اوف اسبيش
    اسم القصايد
    1- Is my team ploughing. Housman
    2-when i was one-and-twenty. housman
    3-toads. Why should I let the toad work
    Squat on my life?
    4-the love of j.alfred prufrock
    ارجو المساااعده بليييز في اسرع وقت
    ولا تنسو اهم شي figure of speech
    figure of speech
    و style and tone and theme

i love you
    شكرا

انجليزي جديد
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2008
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

يمنع وضع اكثر من صورة او صور نسائية او صور ذات حجم كبير
    يمنع وضع روابط لمواقع ومنتديات أخرى
    يمنع وضع روابط الاغاني
    يمنع وضع البريد الالكتروني

انجليزي جديد
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Dec 2010
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

اها
    كيف الحال
    انا مستني
    شكرا

Awaiting
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Mar 2008
    الدولة
    ••••••••••
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

الاخ حسين تفضل

When I was one-and-twenty Analysis

WHEN I was one-and-twenty

I heard a wise man say,
    ?Give crowns and pounds and guineas
    But not your heart away;

Give pearls away and rubies

But keep your fancy free.?
    But I was one-and-twenty,
    No use to talk to me.

When I was one-and-twenty

I heard him say again,
    ?The heart out of the bosom
    Was never given in vain;
    ?Tis paid with sighs a plenty
    And sold for endless rue.?
    And I am two-and-twenty,
    And oh, ?tis true, ?tis true.

As I look back upon my life, I can reflect upon the many times that I gave my heart away to many different women who were objects of my affection. Each time my heart was given with hope that a life together would be the result. But, in all cases except the last did I suffer the pain of unrequited love. As one speaker remarked, falling in love several times is like stepping stones to the one true love that we enventually end up with for life. We know we have found the right one when we commit to settling down and raising a family, fulfilling careers and planning for the success of the next generation. Retirement which comes with old age is the reward for a life well spent with a loving partner.

Man is predisposed culturally and psychologically to thinking himself more important than he really is. This is a poem about the excruciating lack of awareness and powerlessness of simple man.

"Take a chance with love" and it may take away what little common sense you had and then you forget what your passion in life was then you don't contribute to society and then you're no longer worth anything.

It is saying that the heart wasn't just given away for free. You pay for it in sighs, whether in frustration, longing, or woe it doesn't specify, and in regret of what has happened or in sorrow (rue).

Awaiting
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Mar 2008
    الدولة
    ••••••••••
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

�When I was One-and-Twenty� begins with the speaker, a self- proclaimed twenty one year old man: �When I was one-and-twenty� (line 1) recounting the advice given to him from an older man: �I heard a wise man say� (line 2.) Housman�s use of �one-and-twenty� instead of twenty- one contributes to the lyrical style of the poem. The alternating lines of 7 syllables with lines of 6 syllables again furthers the rhythmic feel, as well as the assonance in line 3: �Give crowns and pounds and guineas,� and the alliteration in line 6: �But keep your fancy free.�
    The speaker of the poem goes on to recount the advice given to him by the wise man: �Give crowns and pounds and guineas, / but not your heart away; / Give pearls away and rubies / But keep your fancy free� (line 3-6.) The advice the speaker is given is to give away almost anything, with �crowns and pounds and guineas,� and �pearls and rubies� symbolizing any material object, before he gives away his heart/love. The speaker�s use of �but� in �But I was one-and-twenty, / No use to talk to me� denotes his realization of his youthfulness, thus foreshadowing a later fact.
    The second stanza begins with a repetition of the first line of the poem, denoting that the second stanza will be a continuation of the ideas first presented in the first stanza. The second line of the second stanza: �I heard him say again� (line 10) substantiates this notion. This time the advice given, really is more of a statement of fact than advice. �The heart out of the bosom,� (line 11) -professed love, �Was never given in vain� (line12) �another foreshadow of possible events to come. ��Tis paid with sighs a plenty / And sold for endless rue� (line 13, 14) -the wise man is commenting on the nature of love. No love is without its trials, and nothing is harder to give away than one�s heart. The final two lines reveal the foreshadowed ironic event, that the speaker is now a year older and has thus found the value in the wise man�s advice, only too late. This admittance by the speaker alludes to the fact that he has given his heart away and now knows first hand the �sighs a plenty.�
    The two stanzas work together as one to paint the picture of Housman�s idea of love, in such a compact and succinct verse. The subtle difference that sepereates the second stanza from that of the first serves two purposes. On one hand it works to give the reader a sense of slight change in time. The speaker hear�s the wise man on one occasion, and within the same general period of time hears him talk again. In the end of thpoem, the speaker has gained only a year and this subtle difference between the stanzas seems to show that. The other way in which the stanzas work is how they go beyond the shift in time, and look at the speaker�s evolution in character. Both stanzas are very similar, talking of the same subject and using similar language. In the first stanza, the speaker (even admitingly to himself) comes off as a brash youth: �I was one-and-twenty, / No use to talk to me� (line 7, 8.) But in the second stanza, Housman makes it clear that with age the speaker has gained maturity and learned a valuable lesson about life and love: �I am two-and-twenty, / And oh, �tis true, �tis true� (line 15, 16.)
    This poem is very succinct, with meaning that goes well beyond the actual words written. Housman�s use of money-language: �crowns, pounds, guineas, pearls, rubies, paid, and sold� all serve metaphorically towards the price each of us pays when gambling with love. The idea of money and currency is an interesting way to explain the trials of love. Overall, Housman�s �When I Was One-and-Twenty� is a comical verse about the futility of love, youth, experience, and the irony in living life.

Awaiting
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Mar 2008
    الدولة
    ••••••••••
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

What is the theme in "When I Was One and Twenty" by A.E Houseman?

The first stanza simply is advice that is given to the speaker when he was 21. The advice was that he could give away his many and material possessions, but not his heart or his emotions. Those he was to keep control of. However, as the youth tend to do, the speaker ignores the advice.
    "Give crowns and pounds and guineas
    But not your heart away"
    The second stanza says that the same wise man repeated his advice. Giving away his heart would only cause him heartache in the end.
    "The heart out of the bosom
    Was never given in vain;
    Tis paid with sighs a plenty
    And sold for endless rue"
    At the age of 22, the speaker had obviously learned the hard way. Rather than listening from the beginning, he had to learn thorugh experience.

This is the theme. Youth need to learn on their own. Sometimes just hearing advice doesn't work. We all need to experience it for ourselves to truly learn about love.

Awaiting
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Mar 2008
    الدولة
    ••••••••••
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

Let's examine this poem stanza by stanza---thank you to Les for clipping it here---

When I Was One-and-Twenty

WHEN I was one-and-twenty

I heard a wise man say,
    "Give crowns and pounds and guineas
    But not your heart away;

(Ok, lines one and two are straightforward---no mystery---

then what lines 3 and four are saying is that it is easier
    to give away money than one's heart / spirit.)

Give pearls away and rubies

But keep your fancy free."
    But I was one-and-twenty,
    No use to talk to me.

(pretty much the same as stanza one, almost even boring---

that it's perhaps a better choice to give away
    valuable jewels than to give away one's freedom. Then the speaker
    basically says he'll never change his mine, so don't even try---
    let's agree to disagree, cuz I aint budging---
    but he does say that he was "BUT one and twenty"
    that implies he realizes his immaturity / stupidity of youth)

When I was one-and-twenty

I heard him say again,
    "The heart out of the bosom
    Was never given in vain;

(So at age 21, this guy / dude says that his mentor / advisor who has given out all these pearls

attests to a new rule---that well---maybe after all,
    the sharing of one's heart
    does have SOME value------wow-------how gallant of him---AH.)

Tis paid with sighs a-plenty

And sold for endless rue."
    And I am two-and-twenty,
    And oh, 'tis true, 'tis true.

(and so oh----by the age of 22 the speaker, or the speaker's speaker thinks he is worldy suddenly------whoa---oh gee--he has fallen in love.

Awaiting
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Mar 2008
    الدولة
    ••••••••••
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

"When I was One and Twenty," Poem Analysis

A.E. Housman(1859-1936), wrote "When I was One and Twenty," n 1896.

1. The speaker's mood: He realizes his mistakes / errors; naive attitutde while young.
    The speaker's value / experiences: homosexual "ownheart-given in his early 20's-reticent about it. Housman did not tell his own brother-affair with Moses Jackson, an Oxford student at the time; which in turn can change the entire way the poem is looked upon.

2. "endless rue" rue-pain
    "crowns, pounds, pearls," etc-giving material items away, but not your heart. Repetitive talk of the heart, regardloess of the age, you should never give your heart away
    -bosom, heart, etc, when you love-hurts-vain

3. You can seperate the poem into sections based on content. The first stanza, 1st 6 lines-wise man-elegant. The Last 2 lines-asking what use is advice however apt, in the face of youth/naivete. The second stanza, the speaker, the first 6 lines-wise man. Last 2 lines-age again, realizes past ignorance perhaps gained with experience.

4. Pattern of sound-The entire poem is "singsong," except the line "The heart out of the bosom." THe reader is pulle doff kilter. If the reader changed the word's it would change the poem. For example, if you said feeling instead of heart, the theme of hearts and love, the sense of repetiveness, and the amount of symbolism(heart) would be different.

Repeated lines / thoughts-the heart-as said before, it's important to the overall meaning of the poem.

<->alliteration-rhyme<->

5. The stanzas are uniform. 8 lines in each.
    The first stanza -young 21.
    The second stanza-22, more "wise," reflecting realizes bad old habits.
    First 6 lines are always the wise man.
    The last 2 are always reflection.

6. There is no one central theme in this particular poem it is a bit too vague, as my partner and I found, as well as the class when asked during the initial presentation.

Awaiting
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Mar 2008
    الدولة
    ••••••••••
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

Toads

Philip Larkin

Why should I let the toad work
    Squat on my life?
    Can't I use my wit as a pitchfork
    And drive the brute off?

Six days of the week it soils
    With its sickening poison -
    Just for paying a few bills!
    That's out of proportion.

Lots of folk live on their wits:
    Lecturers, lispers,
    Losels, loblolly-men, louts-
    They don't end as paupers;

Lots of folk live up lanes
    With fires in a bucket,
    Eat windfalls and tinned sardines-
    they seem to like it.

Their nippers have got bare feet,
    Their unspeakable wives
    Are skinny as whippets - and yet
    No one actually starves.

Ah, were I courageous enough
    To shout Stuff your pension!
    But I know, all too well, that's the stuff
    That dreams are made on:

For something sufficiently toad-like
    Squats in me, too;
    Its hunkers are heavy as hard luck,
    And cold as snow,

And will never allow me to blarney
    My way of getting
    The fame and the girl and the money
    All at one sitting.

I don't say, one bodies the other
    One's spiritual truth;
    But I do say it's hard to lose either,
    When you have both.

The toad in the poem is a central metaphor by itself for a vocation that is forced. Especially, one that you have no attitude and aptitude for. The toad has been utilized as the apt metaphor as it is sluggish and ugly. It squats incorrigibly on areas that it is not supposed to, and is a pertinent emblem for stagnation. Here it is the stagnation of life, and stagnation of one’s rational and intellectual capabilities as it is sacrificed for the ‘labour’ of work..

The poet had an aptitude for writing that forms his area of expertise. The ‘wit’ here is a larger metaphor for people preferring money over their aptitude/area of interest. People do not resort to the vocation that they love for the want of more money, and therefore give in to the rat race…something that is represented by the great American Dream. The position of ‘squatting” is also an incorrigible/difficult one. The speaker strives to use his wit as a pitchfork and drive it away.

A week has only seven days, six of which the Toad soils. No adequate time is left for recreation. Just for the reason that that one has to toil to pay his bills, and that is totally out of proportion. The prospects of such work works like a “sickening poison”, one that grows on one’s system.

The poet goes on to list the many people who live on their wits. The first is the Lecturer. Lispers are here those ‘affecting the air of sophisticated culture’, not someone suffering from a speech impediment. These people thrive in the high strata by means of their ability of affectation. A ‘losel’ denotes a “worthless person”; and a lout a “clumsy, stupid fellow.” The speaker may signify that these may function as jokers/clowns by means of their wit. ‘Wit’ is also an alternative term to comedy. “Loblolly-man” from loblolly (meaning ‘a sloppy liquid’) may imply the act of appeasing someone (slang: soaping).This also requires a considerable talent in the art of talking. And yet, these people do not end up as paupers. He utilizes alliteration to emphasize this fact.

Also, people who seem to live on a basic minimum, seem to enjoy it, for they are not forced to work in spite of themselves. ‘Nippers’ is a kind of British colloquialism for ‘young boys’.

Lots of folk live up lanes With fires in a bucket, Eat windfalls and tinned sardines- They seem to like it. Their nippers have got bare feet, Their unspeakable wives Are skinny as whippets - and yet No one actually starves. The speaker wishes that he could tell his boss to go stuff his pension. But the idea of future dreams builds his vision, and obstructs his way. However, the irony of the situation is that one slogs to spend quality time with his loved ones; and in the rat-race does not get time at all to spend with his loved ones. The best years of his life while away working overtime. The ‘hunkers’ weigh him down. They are as cold as snow, and therefore benumbing. The word ‘hunker’ has the following meanings:

1) To squat close to the ground; crouch. Usually used with down: hunkered down to avoid the icy wind.

2) To take shelter, settle in, or hide out. Usually used with down: hunkered down in the cabin during the blizzard.

3) To hold stubbornly to a position.(Source:answers.com)

Therefore, it may allude to all of these meanings, crouch to avoid harsh financial realties, find refuge in the same, and obstinately stick to this ground. The ‘road less traveled’ will never let him get hold of the girl, money and fame at a single setting. Both these aspects do not necessarily complement or embody(bodies) each other always. But when work and aptitude co-exist, it is not difficult but almost impossible to lose the both, in spite of yourself because you love it.

Therefore the crux of the poem is: To work to live, or live to work?

Awaiting
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Mar 2008
    الدولة
    ••••••••••
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

toads! that poem! that's my assignment this week!

i think the speaker of the poem talks about two toads

first is the toad who squats ON the speaker's life, which represents the material needs in his life that forces the speaker to work hard to pay a few bills.

the second toad is sufficiently-toad like which squats INSIDE the speaker's life which represents the spiritual needs (most likely religion) that restricts the speaker from girls, money, and fame.

so, i think Larkin is complaining about his exhausting work just to feed his material needs. sometimes he thinks that it is not important because even paupers cannot eat delicious food don't actualy starve of spiritual needs. However, if he focuses only in his spiritual needs, he cannot get things that he wants like girls, money, and fame.

in somehow, he hates the two toads, yet also he doesn't want to loose both of the toads (i don't consider it as humorous anyway...)

and the speaker of the poem uses a pun "that's stuff as dreams are made on"

derived from the tempest act iv scene 1 when prospero said to Miranda and Ferdinand "we are such stuff that dreams are made on". It means that all mortal things in this life, including human, are only parts of short dreams. The true reality is the life after death.

perhaps my explanation could help... (though i don't really get the point of the effective and humourous manner)

Awaiting
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Mar 2008
    الدولة
    ••••••••••
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

انجليزي جديد
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Dec 2010
    المشاركات