شخصية بارزة الصورة الرمزية ACME
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2009
    الدولة
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

ما الفرق بين هذه الكلمات ( من ناحية الاستخدام والمعنى ) موضوع متجدد

house’ and ‘home’

House describes a particular type of building.

Home is the place where you live and feel that you belong to.

Compare the following:

'Most people in Britain live in semi-detached houses.'

'We’re going to buy Emma a doll’s house for Christmas.'

'The Houses of Parliament in London are visited by 50,000 people each year.'

'I’ve enjoyed living abroad for the last six years, but it’s time for me to go back home now!'

'We were at home in bed when our car was stolen from outside the house.'

'These children need a good home and we are in a position to give them one.'

Note also the differences in meaning and use
    between 'houseproud', 'housework' and 'homework', 'homesick' and 'homeless'.

Study the following:

'I did my housework (i.e. cleaning the house) this morning and my homework (work given to me by my school to do at home) this afternoon.'

'People say that I’m houseproud because I spend so much time cleaning the house so that others will admire it.'

'She said that she was missing her home and family so much. She sounded really homesick.'

'I am homeless. I have no home to go to.

The candle has blown out , extinguished
    and darkness shrouded the whole place

تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2009
    الدولة
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

رد: ما الفرق بين هذه الكلمات ( من ناحية الاستخدام والمعنى ) موضوع متجدد

'lend' or 'borrow'

If you borrow something from somebody, you take it with their permission and promise to return it in due course, at the end of a limited period usually. If you borrow £5,000 from the bank, you will owe them £5,000, plus interest on the period of time you have borrowed if for.

Consider the following:

'I borrowed five pounds from my brother and forgot to pay it back.'

'I always buy the books I want to read, although I agree it would be cheaper to borrow them from the library.'

'Many of his ideas are borrowed from other sources.'

If you lend somebody something, or lend something to somebody, then you give them something of yours for a limited period of time. If you lend someone some money, they will owe you the money.

Consider the following:

'She lent her sister her car for the weekend.' (NB: verb + indirect object + direct object)

'If you lend your coat to Philip, you’ll never see it again.' (NB: verb + direct object + indirect object)

'If you can lend me a hand with these reports, we might finish them by suppertime.'

تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2009
    الدولة
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

'say' and 'tell'

Say

Say is the standard verb which is used to indicate direct speech in any narrative - anecdotes, short stories, novels, etc. It is often used with other 'reporting' verbs, which may be more descriptive or more colourful than the all-purpose say and therefore preferred.

Compare the following:

"What do you think?" asked Mary, holding up the wedding dress.
    "Oh, it looks lovely," they all chorused.
    "It smells a bit musty," ventured William after a moment's silence.
    "That's because it's been shut up in this wardrobe for the last twenty years," replied Jo.
    "I'm sure it'll be all right," said Vanessa encouragingly.
    Say is also used to introduce indirect speech with a that clause. In the examples that follow, please note:

~ the conjuction that is usually not used, unless it is needed to emphasise what is being reported

~ say cannot be followed by a direct personal object

~ as with the direct speech examples above, other reporting verbs may be preferred

She said (that) she was going out. (Not: She said me…)And she admitted (that) she might be late back.
    They said/mentioned (that) Carlos had behaved very strangely when they were in Rio.
    He said/insisted (that) he had been driving very slowly when the accident happened.

tell

If we use tell to report statements like those above in indirect speech, we must remember that tell has to be followed by a direct personal object:

'He told her (that) he loved her.' (Not: He told that he loved her.)

'They told us (that) they had already bought us a wedding present.'

'How can you stand there and tell me now that you're not going through with it?' she shouted.
    Tell is often used with an object + infinitive to express orders, instructions, requests and advice.

Other reporting verbs can also be used in this way, although say cannot be used like this. Compare the following:

'He told them to stay on the path and not to wander off into the woods.' (Not: He said them…)

'I asked her to get me some apples.'

'They advised Gladys not to worry. Tom would be all right.

'They told/asked/advised/warned him to turn the music down as everybody else was already in bed and wanted to sleep.

تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2009
    الدولة
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

'make' and 'do'

do

You do an exam. But there are no easy rules to follow. We always use do to describe indefinite activities, often with what, thing, anything, nothing, etc and generally speaking we also use do to talk about duties, jobs or (leisure) activities. Look at the following examples:

'What shall we do now?' 'You can do what you like. I'm going home!'

'He didn't do anything. He just sat there.'

'You expect me to do everything around the house. Well, I'm fed up!'

'I did all my homework last night so tonight I'm going to do the housework.'

'I did a lot of research and I think I did a good job on that essay. I did my best anyway.'

'I intend to do lots of walking on holiday this year, and perhaps some bird-watching too.

make

We tend to use make when we are talking about constructing, creating or performing something. Study the following examples:

'I made three suggestions and left it to him to make the final decision.'

'I've made all the arrangements for the trip and I've made a great effort to get it all right.'

'I'm afraid I'm going to have to make my excuses and leave.'

'I have to make three phone calls.'

make or do?

do the cleaning and the cooking
    make a lasting impression (on someone)
    do the shopping and the washing-up
    do some serious work
    do a lot of damage (to something)
    make an announcement
    make an application (e.g. for a driving test)
    make a sound or a noise
    do one's hair or one's teeth
    do a lot of harm rather than good
    do business (with somebody)
    do (somebody) a favour
    make love, not war
    make a mess, a profit or a fortune
    make fun of someone or a fool of someone
    make amends for one's behaviour

تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2009
    الدولة
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

See and watch

Seeing is noticing something or somebody with your eyes, usually with no explicit intention or purpose behind the action. If you watch something or someone, you look at them deliberately, usually for a longer period.

Watch is often used with progressive tense forms. See is not used with progressive forms, but may be used with can to suggest something in progress. Compare the following:

Can you hear me at the back? Am I speaking loudly enough?

I could hear a dog barking but apart from that there was no sound.

I'm surprised to hear you say such awful things about her. I thought you liked her.

I could hear them talking in the next room, but I tried not to listen to what they were saying.

You need to listen to the tape very carefully if you want to understand what she is saying.

I didn't hear the phone ringing because I was listening to a Mahler symphony on the radio.

See / Hear + that-clause

We often use I hear and I see with a that-clause to indicate that we have noted something or that we understand or gather that something has happened or will happen.

I hear / understand / gather that you're planning to quit your job with IBM and go freelance.

Have you heard that Jenny's gone freelance? ~ No, I've heard nothing about that.

I see / understand / gather that the postal workers are threatening another one-day strike in October.

I can't see / understand what all the fuss is about. It's only a one-day strike.

Note these further, more specific uses of see and watch:

see = meet (note that in this meaning progressive forms are often possible)

I'll see you outside the hospital at eleven o' clock.

He's seeing the doctor about his bronchitis tomorrow.

I'm sorry, but he's not well enough to see you now.

She must really stop seeing him. He has a bad influence on her.

see = find out (note progressive forms never possible)

I'll go and see if I can help them.

He went back to see if they needed any help.

As we saw when he went back to help them, these guys are totally independent.

see = accompany

You may not be able to find your way out. I'll just see you to the door.

He's old enough to come home by himself, but can you just see him across the busy road?

watch = be careful about ...
    We must watch the time or we shall be late.

Watch that you don't spend too much money in Oxford Street. Watch your purse too. Watch out for pickpockets.

watch = look after

Can you just watch my bags while I go to the loo?

You may also watch your weight if you decide to be careful about the things you eat or watch the world go by, if you stand or sit somewhere and watch people as they pass by.

تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2009
    الدولة
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

hire or rent?

The meaning is the same: to rent or hire something, you pay money in order to be allowed to use it for a limited amount of time. It is simply a matter of usage. With some nouns you can use one or the other – it doesn’t matter which as both are freely used. You can: rent or hire cars, bikes, electronic equipment:

'We rented a TV and video as we intended to stay in England for only six months.'

'If you’re planning to go to Cambridge for the day, hire a bike when you arrive. It’s the best way to get round the town.'
    With other nouns it is customary in British English to use one and not the other. We would: rent a flat, caravan, cottage, house:
    'I rented a cottage by the sea for the summer.'

'He rented me his flat in London while he was on holiday in Greece.'
    (However, note the difference in use, depending on whether it is used as a verb or a noun: ‘flats to rent’, but ‘bikes for hire’)

We hire some help (i.e people), tools, equipment:
    'I had too much to do on the farm, so I decided to hire some help three mornings a week.'

'The police enquiries were making no progress, so we decided to hire a private detective.'

'I was painting the outside of the house and had to hire a tall ladder to get to the top.'

rise or raise?

Two verbs which are similar in meaning: to move to a higher position. The essential difference is that raise is a transitive verb which needs an object to complete its meaning and rise is intransitive, it functions without an object and is sometimes followed by a phrase of time or place. Compare the following:

'The sun rises in the East and sets in the West.'

'I rise (i.e. get up) at six o’ clock every weekday morning in order to be at work by seven.'

'He rose (i.e. stood up) to greet her.'

'I raised my hand because I wanted to raise a question, but he took no notice of me.'

'If you are raising a family as a single parent, you shouldn’t try to work full-time.'

'My child was ill and I had to raise money to pay for the operation.'

تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2009
    الدولة
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

Hope / wish

The verb wish is used in a variety of different ways and hope cannot be used as a 'stand alone' verb in a sentence, other than in the expressions 'I hope so' or 'I hope not.'

Let's look at wish first of all.

'I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.'
    'Remember it's Sarah's birthday tomorrow. Don't forget to wish her many happy returns.'
    'They wished me all the best in my new job.'
    'I wish you good health and every happiness in the New Millennium.'

, Wish is also used when you wish that something were the case or you would like it to be the case even though you know that it is impossible or unlikely. In this sense, the verb
    which follows wish has a past tense inflection. Thus we have:

'We wish you could be here.'
    'He wished he hadn't said that, for Fiona was terribly upset.'
    'It rained every day. I do wish I hadn't gone there for my holidays.'
    'I wish you didn't have to work so hard.'

Wish, as in 'wish to', is also sometimes used as a slightly more formal alternative to 'want to'. So we have:
    'They were very much in love and wished to get married as soon as it could be arranged.'
    'I don't wish to see him ever again,' she said, five months after they were married.'
    'He could do most of his work from home, if he wished.'
    'I don't wish to interrupt (your conversation), but the potatoes are burning dry.'
    'I don't wish to be rude, but that red dress really doesn't suit you.'

Now let's take a brief look at hope. We speak of people's 'hopes for the future' and hope normally signals future intentions. If you hope to do something, you want to do it and intend to do it if you possibly can.

Like wish it can be used with to, plus infinitive. So we might have:

'I hope to be a millionaire by the time I'm thirty.'
    'I was hoping to catch the 5.30 train and would have caught it, if Jennifer hadn't phoned.'

However, when a new subject is introduced, hope must be followed by a clausal construction. Thus, we would find:
    'I hope (that) she'll like these flowers.'
    'Her mother hoped (that) Judith would become a doctor, but her heart was always set on the stage.'
    'I hope (that) you won't think me rude, but that red dress that you're wearing definitely doesn't suit you.'
    'They were stranded on the side of the mountain and hoped (that) the rescue team would reach them before nightfall.'

Hopes and wishes! It is my hope and wish that all of you out there reading this will enjoy good health and every happiness Or, to put it in two other ways: I wish you good health and every happiness in 2010. I hope you'll enjoy good health and every happiness in 2010.

تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2009
    الدولة
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

Wear, put on, dress, be dressed in

Wear

When you wear your clothes, shoes or jewellery you have them on your body:

She was wearing a beautiful diamond necklace with matching earrings.
    You can also wear your hair in a particular way:

David Beckham used to wear his hair short, but now he is wearing it long.
    There is another meaning to wear. If something wears, it becomes thinner or weaker because it is used frequently over a long period of time. We also have the expression to wear thin and the phrasal verb to wear out. People can also feel worn out. If something wears you out, it makes you feel extremely tired. Compare the following usages:

This carpet is beginning to wear. We shall soon have to replace it.

He is such an annoying person. My patience is wearing thin.

If you didn't play football every day, your shoes wouldn't wear out so quickly.

Don't rush around so much. You'll wear yourself out.

I've spent all day shopping and I feel quite worn out.

Put on

When you put clothes on you place them on your body in order to wear them. And when you have finished wearing them, you take them off. We also put on weight, the opposite of which is to lose weight. Compare the following (additional) usages of put on:

Take that shirt off and put on a new one. You can't go out in such an old shirt.

The amateur dramatic company put on a new show, but had to take it off after three days as nobody came.

The casserole is in the oven. Put the potatoes on now and put the rice on in five minutes.

I thought I was going to put some weight on on holiday, but I lost half a kilo as I swam every day.

Why don't you put that new CD on so that I have some music while I'm ironing?

Dress

When you dress, you put clothes on. You can also dress children, dress a wound by cleaning it and covering it and dress a salad by putting oil and vinegar on it. If you dress up, you put on different clothes to make yourself look smarter, if you dress down, you put on clothes that are less smart than usual. We often speak of getting dressed as a colloquial alternative to dress. Compare the following usages:

You'd better get dressed now. Henry will be here in ten minutes.

She came in covered in mud. So I bathed her and dressed her in new clothes.

I must dress now for the party. Have you dressed the salad yet?

I think it's better not to dress that wound. We'll just leave it so that the air can get to it.

It is customary now to dress down in certain offices in the city on Fridays. There is no need to wear a suit.

I just love dressing up and Edward's having an Edwardian party on Saturday.

Be dressed in

If you dress or are dressed in a particular way, you wear clothes, usually for a particular purpose:

She was dressed in a multi-layered organdie gown with a duchess satin opera coat for the open-air production of Don Giovanni.
    Her chaperone was wearing a white dinner jacket.

تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2009
    الدولة
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

Take or last?

Both take and last are used to talk about the amount of time needed for something. We tend to use take when we are more in control of the experience and last when we have little or no control over it. Take suggests more active involvement and last implies a more passive experience. Thus we are more likely to say:

How long does the film last?
    ~ It's a long one. It lasts (for) over three hours
    Compare also the following examples of greater and lesser control of the action using take and last:

It takes half an hour to prepare lunch and an hour to prepare supper usually.

Dinner lasts for / takes at least ninety minutes when Henry's at home - there's so much to talk about.

The five-set match lasted for more than three-and-a-half hours before the champion went through to the next round 6-3, 3-6, 6-1, 6-7, 6-2. "I didn't expect it to take so long, but it took me twenty minutes to settle down in the opening set," he said afterwards.
    Note that when we use preparatory it as subject and when it is followed by a personal pronoun, me, you, her, him, or them, we have to use take, not last:

It will take you all day to tidy your room - it's in such a mess.

It only takes me five minutes to put my make-up on now. It used to take me ninety minutes before I got married.

Like get, take is a very common multi-purpose verb and is used in many different ways. Here are a few of the commonest:

take (opposite of give)

I offered him four tickets for Romeo and Juliet, but he only took two.

The burglars have taken all my jewels. There's nothing left.

I'll take a copy of the agreement, if you don't mind. Then I won't forget anything.

I'm going to take ten minutes now to explain to you how this works.
    take (opposite of bring) meaning 'carry'

They are opposites in the sense that when we use bring we are describing movements to where the speaker or listener is located, and when we use take we are describing movements away from the speaker/listener. Compare the following:

She took me to the hospital because I was feeling decidedly ill.

Take an umbrella with you. It's going to rain.

My secretary always brings me my mail first of all and then she takes the children to school.

I took my calculator to school every day until the maths teacher said: "You needn't bring them any more. We have enough now for everybody."
    take (= have)

I'm going to take a shower now. ~ Why don't you take a bath? It'll be more relaxing.

Let's take a break now. You've been driving for two hours and you need to take a rest.

I'm going to take a holiday as soon as my boss gets back from leave.

We took a long walk along the seashore every evening before dinner.

Take a good look at this and make sure it's in perfect working order before you decide to buy it.
    In all of these expressions with take + noun to describe common actions, we can use either have or take. Have is more characteristic of British English whereas Americans would be more inclined to use take.

تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2009
    الدولة
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

Cooking

fry ( in oil ) .i
    boil ( in hot water ) .i
    bake ( bread and cakes in an oven ) .i
    roast ( meat or vegetables in an oven ) .i

تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2009
    الدولة
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

cost , price , charge , fee , fare

cost

It is used to talk about paying for services and activities rather than objects
    The total cost of the trip was S.R 5000
    I worked out the costs of the repairs

price

It is used to mean the amount of money that you must pay for something in a place
    such as a shop or arestaurant
    House prices in this area are falling
    There is a sharp rise in food prices

charge

is the amount you have to pay for a particular service or use of something
    The waiter explained that the bill included 10% service charge
    Your order will be sent free of charge

fee

it is the amount of money you have to pay to enter or join something
    The gallery charges no entrance fee
    The fee for membership is S.R 250 per year

fees

A charge that you must pay for professional sservices
    My parents could not afford the school fees

fare

It is the amount of money you have to payto travel somewhere by
    taxi , bus , train , plane etc
    His parents paid his fare to Sydney
    How much is the bus fare from Jeddah to Riyadh

تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2009
    الدولة
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

each and every

Each and every are both determiners used with singular nouns to indicate quantity. Each indicates two or more objects or people and every indicates three or more. Each can also be used as a pronoun, but every cannot be. Study the following:

each ~ both

She had clearly been in a fight. She had bruises on each leg and cuts on each arm (OR: on both legs / on both arms, BUT NOT: on every leg / on every arm)
    My parents have moved to the capital. Each of them works in a bank. (OR They both work…, / They each work…, BUT NOT: Every one of them works…
    We each had a suitcase and each one weighed over 30 kilos. ( = two people, two suitcases)
    He was holding a revolver in each hand / in both hands
    ( = two hands, two revolvers)
    He was holding a revolver with both hands ( = two hands, one revolver)

each ~ individual; every ~ all

We tend to use each if we are thinking about members of a group individually, and every if we are thinking of them in total. Compare the following:

We gave each child who came to the party a present. We handed them out one by one.
    We gave every child who came to the party a present We gave them all a present.
    I really love Pinter. I've seen every one of his plays at least once. I've seen them all.
    You suggested I should read Pinter's plays. Well, I'm going to study each one carefully.
    Every third-year student will be examined orally in June. They will each be given a fifteen minute interview.

every NOT each

With adverbs - almost, nearly, practically, etc, we have to use every to emphasise that we are talking about the group as a whole:

Practically every person in the room had dated Samantha at some time or another.
    Nearly every chocolate had been eaten. There were hardly any left for the boys when they arrived home.
    This year I have visited practically every country in South-East Asia.
    We have to use every to refer to repeated regular events, as in once every, twice every, etc. Study the following:

My hearing is getting worse and worse and I have to go to the hospital for a hearing test once every so often - about once every six months.
    You ask me every single day when Joan will be returning and every single day I tell you that I do not know.
    How often do you hear from John? ~ Oh, not very often. Every now and again.
    She was suffering from cramp and in order to finish the tennis match needed to stretch her legs after every other game. (I.e. after the 2nd, 4th, 6th games, etc) BUT: She was suffering from cramp and in order to finish the tennis match needed to stretch her legs after each game.

each NOT every

Remember only each can be used as a pronoun, irrespective of whether we are describing two or more of something or three or more of something. Study the following:

No, no. It's not £30 for both of them. They each cost £30. (OR: They cost £30 each.)
    The inheritance was shared out equally among the six children. Each (of them) received £32,000.
    I gave them each (OR each of them) a $10 tip when I checked out of the hotel.
    If we want to use every in a similar way, indicating three or more of something, we must insert one before of them as every has no pronominal form itself. A lot of word stress is put on one so that in effect it means every single one of them. We can use each one of them in a similar way. Study the following and the earlier examples of this structure:

The inheritance was shared out equally among the six children. Every one of them received £32,000.
    I gave every one of them a $10 tip when I checked out of the hotel.

تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2009
    الدولة
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

'good' and 'well'

good = adjective
    well = adverb

Therefore it has to be we eat well as we are describing how we eat and drink. It might be said that adverbs answer the question How…? whilst adjectives answer the question What sort of…?

Study the following:

'She speaks good Japanese.'
    'She speaks Japanese well.'
    'She speaks Japanese better than I do.'
    Note that better is the comparative form of both good and well.

In English, we often play around with basic language, whether consciously or unconsciously, for effect. So, whilst 'we eat well and drink well' would be grammatically correct, 'we eat good and drink well' may be more effective in terms of impact because it breaks the grammatical rule. I would not recommend it, however, if you are taking an exam, but it will sound good over a drink with friends.

Why not sound well in this particular example? It is because when we use verbs such as be, seem, appear, sound, look, feel, smell, taste, they are followed by adjectives rather than adverbs as we are describing the subject of the sentence rather than the action of the verb.

So we have:

'She looks really good in those clothes.'

'The food at the reception tasted really good - better than the food we had last year.'

'There's no way he'll get a distinction, but the work he's done appears good enough for a pass.'

'I felt really good when she congratulated me on winning the essay prize.'

For similar reasons we would talk about:
    A good-looking woman.
    A good-natured boy. (good describes his nature)
    But we would also say:
    A well-dressed woman. (well tells us how she dresses)
    A well-behaved boy. (well tells us how he behaves)
    Look up good and well in your dictionaries to see if you can find further examples of adjectives formed in this way.

The only time when well can be used as an adjective by itself is when we are talking about someone's health. Here well means in good health. Compare the following:
    'How are you today?' 'Fine. Very well, thanks. / Not very well, actually.'

'I often feel unwell when I'm on a boat, but as soon as I get off, I'm fine.

Note that the expression well and good is used to indicate that you find a particular situation satisfactory or acceptable. Thus, we might say:
    'If you can do the job in less time and leave early, I don't mind. That's (all very) well and good.'

'If you want to stay here on your own over Christmas, well and good.

Incidentally, there is now a trend among young people, particularly in the 18 - 25 age range, to use well instead of very in expressions like:
    'I am well happy with that.'

'I was well tired last night.

'She was well pleased with her birthday present.'
    Again it breaks the rule and is effective in the impact it makes.

Well used in this way often refers to exceptional circumstances or is used as a summary statement. I wonder if this creative use of the English language has reached you yet in your part of the world?

To be honest and fair
    Most but not all of the
    above - mentioned
    differences between
    words were taken from
    BBc Learning English

Many thanks to them for the great efforts they do to facilitate learning
    English Language in the proper way

Sirhasan

مميز
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Jul 2010
    الدولة
    KSA
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

موضوع جميل اكاد اسميه موسوعة فقد جمع الكثير من المفيد ونحن نتابع كل جديد فيه

لكم الشكر منا والتقدير
    To Be, Or Not To Be, That Is The Question

انجليزي مبدع الصورة الرمزية the-majesty
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Jun 2010
    الدولة
    Missing mam :(
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

so amazing that u show the differences among many things in usage

they some times make sence for learners even for native who listen to it daily

plz prof Hassan keep it up

warm regards to ur Majesty

تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2009
    الدولة
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

اقتباس المشاركة الأصلية كتبت بواسطة yalasmary مشاهدة المشاركة
    موضوع جميل اكاد اسميه موسوعة فقد جمع الكثير من المفيد ونحن نتابع كل جديد فيه

لكم الشكر منا والتقدير
    اسعدني مرورك كثيرا وقريبا تكملة الموضوع ان شاء الله - دمت في رعاية الله

تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2009
    الدولة
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

اقتباس المشاركة الأصلية كتبت بواسطة the-majesty مشاهدة المشاركة
    so amazing that u show the differences among many things in usage

they some times make sence for learners even for native who listen to it daily

plz prof Hassan keep it up

warm regards to ur Majesty

How kind and sweet of you to say that Mr.Courteous . I am really obliged
    The second part will come out soon , In sha Allah . Many thanks to you

تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2009
    الدولة
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

accept vs except

Accept is a verb, which means to agree to take something .
    For example: "I always accept good advice."
    Except is a preposition or conjunction, which means not including.
    For example: "I teach every day except Sunday(s)."

تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2009
    الدولة
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

advice vs advise

Advice is a noun, which means an opinion that someone offers you about what you should do or how you should act in a particular situation.
    For example: "I need someone to give me some advice."
    Advise is a verb, which means to give information and suggest types of action.
    For example: "I advise everybody to be nice to their teacher."
    !Often in English the noun form ends in ...ice and the verb form ends in ...ise.

تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2009
    الدولة
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

affect vs effect

Affect and effect are two words that are commonly confused.

affect is usually a verb (action) - effect is usually a noun (thing)
    Hint: If it's something you're going to do, use "affect." If it's something you've already done, use "effect."
    To affect something or someone.
    Meaning: to influence, act upon, or change something or someone.
    For example: The noise outside affected my performance.
    To have an effect on something or someone
    !Note: effect is followed by the preposition on and preceded by an article (an, the)
    Meaning: to have an impact on something or someone.
    For example: His smile had a strange effect on me.
    !Effect can also mean "the end result".
    For example: The drug has many adverse side effects.

تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2009
    الدولة
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

alone / lonely
    Alone, can be used as an adjective or adverb. Either use means without other people or on your own.
    For example: "He likes living alone."
    "I think we're alone now." = There are just the two of us here.
    Lonely is an adjective which means you are unhappy because you are not with other people.
    For example: "The house feels lonely now that all the children have left home."
    !Note - Just because you're alone, doesn't mean you're lonely.

تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2009
    الدولة
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

beside vs besides

beside is a preposition of place that means at the side of or next to.
    For example: The house was beside the Thames.
    besides is an adverb or preposition. It means in addition to or also.
    For example: Besides water, we carried some fruit. = "In addition to water, we carried some fruit."

تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2009
    الدولة
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

bored vs boring

bored is an adjective that describes when someone feels tired and unhappy because something is not interesting or because they have nothing to do.
    For example: She was so bored that she fell asleep.
    boring is an adjective that means something is not interesting or exciting.
    For example: The lesson was so boring that she fell asleep.
    !Note Most verbs which express emotions, such as to bore , may use either the present or the past participle as an adjective, but the meaning of the participles is often different.

تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2009
    الدولة
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

by vs until

Both until and by indicate “any time before, but not later than.”Until tells us how long a situation continues. If something happens until a particular time, you stop doing it at that time.
    For example:
    They lived in a small house until September 2003.
    (They stopped living there in September.)
    I will be away until Wednesday.
    (I will be back on Wednesday.)
    We also use until in negative sentences.
    For example:
    Details will not be available until January.
    (January is the earliest you can expect to receive the details.)
    If something happens by a particular time, it happens at or before that time. It is often used to indicate a deadline.
    For example:
    You have to finish by August 31.
    (August 31 is the last day you can finish; you may finish before this date.)
    We also use by when asking questions.
    For example:
    Will the details be available by December?
    (This asks if they will be ready no later than December.)

تاريخ التسجيل
    Feb 2009
    الدولة
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

council vs counsel

Council is a group noun. It refers to a group of people elected or chosen to make decisions or give advice on a particular subject, to represent a particular group of people, or to run a particular organization.
    For example: "The local council has decided not to allocate any more funds for the project."
    Counsel can be a verb, which means to give advice, especially on social or personal problems.
    For example: "She counsels the long-term unemployed on how to get a job."
    Counsel can also be a noun, which means advice.
    For example: "I should have listened to my father's counsel, and saved some money instead of spending it all."

المواضيع المتشابهه

1. مفردات منهج Super Goal2 أول متوسط فصل ثاني بالصوت والمعنى
    بواسطة فاتح القدس في المنتدى Super Goal 2
    مشاركات: 9
    آخر مشاركة: 27-02-2015, 10:49 PM
  2. هل تعرف الفرق بين هذه الكلمات Compulsory , Mandatory , Obligatory
    بواسطة ACME في المنتدى منتدى اللغة الأنجليزية العام
    مشاركات: 8
    آخر مشاركة: 08-02-2011, 05:55 PM
  3. هل تعرف الفرق بين هذه الكلمات cause- reason , childish - childlike , continual – continous
    بواسطة ACME في المنتدى منتدى اللغة الأنجليزية العام
    مشاركات: 6
    آخر مشاركة: 05-02-2011, 06:00 PM
  4. موضوع اليوم - هل تعرف الفرق بين هذه الكلمات - أعطى رأيك
    بواسطة ACME في المنتدى منتدى تعليم اللغة الانجليزية
    مشاركات: 13
    آخر مشاركة: 12-02-2010, 04:46 AM

المفضلات

ضوابط المشاركة

• لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
  • لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
  • لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات