to be saved by bell

to be saved by bell
    مامعنى هذه العباره وقصة هذه العباره

انا لقيت هذه الاجابه لكن ماادري صح ولا غلط
    Saved by the bell
    Meaning

Saved by a last minute intervention.
    Origin

This is boxing slang that came into being in the latter half of the 19th century. A boxer who is in danger of losing a bout can be 'saved' from defeat by the bell that marks the end of a round. The earliest reference to this that I can find is in the Massachusetts newspaper The Fitchburg Daily Sentinel, February 1893:

"Martin Flaherty defeated Bobby Burns in 32 rounds by a complete knockout. Half a dozen times Flaherty was saved by the bell in the earlier rounds."

There is a widespread notion that the phrase is from the 17th century and that it describes people being saved from being buried alive by using a coffin with a bell attached. The idea being that, if they were buried but later revived, they could ring the bell and be saved from an unpleasant death. The idea is certainly plausible as the fear of burial alive was and is real. Several prominent people expressed this fear when close to death themselves:

"All I desire for my own burial is not to be buried alive." - Lord Chesterfield, 1769.

"Have me decently buried, but do not let my body be put into a vault in less than two days after I am dead." - deathbed request of George Washington.

"Swear to make them cut me open, so that I won't be buried alive."- Frederic Chopin's last words.

Just as real were the devices themselves, several of which were patented in England and the USA. These were known as 'safety coffins' and designs were registered in the 19th century and up to as late as 1955. For example,
    Saved by the bell - Coffin

The Improved Burial Case. Patent No. 81,437 Franz Vester, Newark, New Jersey. August 25, 1868.
    USA Patents Office

There's no evidence to show that these coffins were ever put to use though and there's a similar lack of evidence of the phrase ever being used in that sense prior to it having been used in boxing circles

الي عنده اضافه لايبخل علينا

Awaiting
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Mar 2008
    الدولة
    ••••••••••
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

رد: to be saved by bell

هلا غلاتي

Idiom: Saved by the bell

If you are saved by the bell, you are rescued from a danger or a tricky situation just in time.

يعني تم انقاذة في اللحظة المناسبة او في آخر لحظة

قصتها

In the 1800's during the plague and a host of other diseases people were dying at an enormous rate. In turn they where being buried by the thousands. In that time no one really paid attention to the fact that some of these people where not quite dead yet, so they were buried alive. When some of the graves were exhumed. Scratch marks were noticed, so what the coroner decided to do was to tie a string around the index finger of the deceased and at the end of that string was a bell, that was above the grave. If the deceased really was alive the bell would ring when their hand moved. Someone was assigned to watch the grave for a couple of days, until they confirmed death. Hence the term "saved by the bell". Also that was how the "graveyard" shift began.

ترجمة

في 1800 خلال وباء الطاعون كان الناس يموتون من الأمراض بمعدل هائل. حيث يجري دفنهم بالآلاف. في ذلك الوقت لم يكن أحد ينتبه ان بعض هؤلاء الناس لم يمت بعد تماما ، لذلك كانوا يدفنون بعضهم أحياء. عندما استخرجت بعض القبور. ولوحظت علامات الحياة ، قرر الطبيب الشرعي بربط سلسلة حول سبابة المتوفى وفي نهاية هذه السلسلة جرس فوق القبر. إذا كان المتوفى حقا على قيد الحياة فإن الجرسسيتحرك و يخرج اصواتاً واضحة. ويتم تعيين شخص ما لمشاهدة القبر لبضعة أيام ، حتى تتاكد الوفاة. وبالتالي ظهر هذا المصطلح

Awaiting
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Mar 2008
    الدولة
    ••••••••••
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

رد: to be saved by bell

هلا غلاتي

Idiom: Saved by the bell

If you are saved by the bell, you are rescued from a danger or a tricky situation just in time.

يعني تم انقاذة في اللحظة المناسبة او في آخر لحظة

قصتها

In the 1800's during the plague and a host of other diseases people were dying at an enormous rate. In turn they where being buried by the thousands. In that time no one really paid attention to the fact that some of these people where not quite dead yet, so they were buried alive. When some of the graves were exhumed. Scratch marks were noticed, so what the coroner decided to do was to tie a string around the index finger of the deceased and at the end of that string was a bell, that was above the grave. If the deceased really was alive the bell would ring when their hand moved. Someone was assigned to watch the grave for a couple of days, until they confirmed death. Hence the term "saved by the bell". Also that was how the "graveyard" shift began.

ترجمة

في 1800 خلال وباء الطاعون كان الناس يموتون من الأمراض بمعدل هائل. حيث يجري دفنهم بالآلاف. في ذلك الوقت لم يكن أحد ينتبه ان بعض هؤلاء الناس لم يمت بعد تماما ، لذلك كانوا يدفنون بعضهم أحياء. عندما استخرجت بعض القبور. ولوحظت علامات الحياة ، قرر الطبيب الشرعي بربط سلسلة حول سبابة المتوفى وفي نهاية هذه السلسلة جرس فوق القبر. إذا كان المتوفى حقا على قيد الحياة فإن الجرسسيتحرك و يخرج اصواتاً واضحة. ويتم تعيين شخص ما لمشاهدة القبر لبضعة أيام ، حتى تتاكد الوفاة. وبالتالي ظهر هذا المصطلح

انجليزي رائع الصورة الرمزية وردة الطائف****
    تاريخ التسجيل
    Mar 2009
    الدولة
    Taif
    المشاركات
    معدل تقييم المستوى

رد:saved by bell

اسال الله ان يثيبك عدد كل حرف كتبيه اناملك

المفضلات

ضوابط المشاركة

• لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة